Community Cat Program
Make an Appointment
We are currently offering FREE spay/neuter surgeries and rabies vaccinations for community cats trapped in Buncombe County. It is estimated that there are approximately 28,000 community cats living in this county alone, so our goal is to humanely decrease the number of unwanted cats and kittens in our community.
1. Call (828) 252-2079 to make an appointment for surgery (walk-ins are accepted 8 a.m. until 10:30 a.m. [Mon - Thurs only]).
2. Trap the cat(s) and bring them to us.
- For the safety of the cat (and our staff), all cats must come in a humane, live-release trap. We have traps available to rent for a $60 refundable deposit.
- Withhold food on the morning of surgery, but continue to provide fresh water.
3. All patients will receive a spay/neuter surgery and rabies vaccination (dependent on age), and ear-tip.
- Tipping the cat's left ear is a universal indication that the cat has had spay/neuter surgery
- We hold all patients for one night after their surgery for recovery
4. You will then pick them up the day after surgery, so they can be returned to their community.
Community Cat is used to describe any free-roaming, outdoor cat. Some are not socialized with people, while others are friendly and may have been lost or abandoned by their previous families. Because they live outside, and oftentimes are being fed and cared for by one or more neighbors, they are called community cats.
If the cat is in Buncombe County and lives primarily outdoors, then yes!
Cats choose their territories for a variety of reasons. Usually it’s because of a food source or the shelter an area provides. Removing cats doesn’t address whatever drew the cats to the area in the first place, so new cats will move in, or the few remaining cats will breed again to capacity. We’ve seen communities that have spent lots of money rounding up and removing all the cats, only to have a new group move in a year or two later, and continue producing more unwanted kittens.
Volunteer to help us with trapping. Give us a call at (828) 252-2079 to get started!